click tracking
FaXin

Asana Practice

I’ve been doing Sun Salutations every morning before work. I have a friend who teaches Ashtanga yoga, and I asked him to show me a short routine to do for general health. He recommended I start with the sun salutations.

ive really been enjoying it. It’s quite a nice way to wake up every morning. I feel a bit of energy with the practice too.

anyone practice any physical yoga (asanas)? If so, any particular school? or tips for me?

10 minutes ago, rideforever said:

What was the source of your instruction ?

A friend, who is an Ashtanga teacher. 

After I hurt my back I started doing yoga and it had an amazing effect of getting me better.

Yoga in the class is pretty expensive but I just did an online course which I think is very good. Helps you with the details, builds strength and varies the length of the routines. 

Nice video thanks Tom. I started doing yoga to loosen up my back as well. But it’s proven to be a really good workout too. 

Just now, FaXin said:

Nice video thanks Tom. I started doing yoga to loosen up my back as well. But it’s proven to be a really good workout too. 

You do it 4/5 times a week and you will lose weight and get tone for sure. The holds on the legs and i find my arms shaking in certain poses. I really like it.

Just now, Tom said:

You do it 4/5 times a week and you will lose weight and get tone for sure. The holds on the legs and i find my arms shaking in certain poses. I really like it.

Yes I’ve quickly developed a spare tire around the midsection. Never had that problem until this year. Mid 30s I guess...

Im really enjoying the breathing that matches with the poses too. 

1 hour ago, FaXin said:

Yes I’ve quickly developed a spare tire around the midsection. Never had that problem until this year. Mid 30s I guess...

Im really enjoying the breathing that matches with the poses too. 

Asanas are much like Tai Chi. Using the breath and the movements to move the energy around within the body.

I've tried a number of forms of yoga - including Ashtanga, which i found really powerful. I always end up back in Iyengar, which most people find exceedingly tedious. There is something so restful about being so exacting in the asanas, but also there is a deeper stability in the precision of Iyengar that I didn't find anywhere else that seems so balancing and healing to the body. It helps that there are some amazing very high-level teachers in my area...

26 minutes ago, Trish said:

I've tried a number of forms of yoga - including Ashtanga, which i found really powerful. I always end up back in Iyengar, which most people find exceedingly tedious. There is something so restful about being so exacting in the asanas, but also there is a deeper stability in the precision of Iyengar that I didn't find anywhere else that seems so balancing and healing to the body. It helps that there are some amazing very high-level teachers in my area...

What is Iyengar about? How is it different?

Iyengar is alignment based, and a lot more time is spent in each pose exploring where strength/weakness, allowance/resistance is residing. Because so much time is spent in each pose, the practice develops strength as well as flexibility. 

Ashtanga and Iyengar are sometimes referred to as the dynamic and static forms of yoga. Sun salutations are a powerful practice in both styles and a great way to start a day!

Posted (edited)

Very cool, thank you Trish. I have friends who teach Hatha and Ashtanga - I just happen to be closer to the friend who does Ashtanga.

ill look up Iyengar tonight. I also have a book on Yin Yoga but didn’t get into it much. 

Edited by FaXin

7 hours ago, Trish said:

Agree with the precision from Iyengar yoga.  I leaned some basics in Dallas Iyengar studio about 15 years back.  I was impressed.  It was very helpful, not just as a yoga practice, but from learning how to stand when idle (foot posture, evenly distributing body weight etc) to various other things to be mindful through the day and night.

The basics of asanas/yoga, tai chi should be taught in the primary and high schools.  This can help children grow into a healthier lifestyle and avoid so many diseases and ailments.

4 minutes ago, S1va said:

Agree with the precision from Iyengar yoga.  I leaned some basics in Dallas Iyengar studio about 15 years back.  I was impressed.  It was very helpful, not just as a yoga practice, but from learning how to stand when idle (foot posture, evenly distributing body weight etc) to various other things to be mindful through the day and night.

The basics of asanas/yoga, tai chi should be taught in the primary and high schools.  This can help children grow into a healthier lifestyle and avoid so many diseases and ailments.

Totally agree - should be taught in our schools. 100%!!! Thanks for your comment siva. More reason for me to look into Iyengar.