click tracking

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zwerver said:

If the political section of the new forum fails (we'll have to see how it goes), then I hope that the political section will just be closed down and that the spiritual part will go on and survive. I will probably not participate in the political section anyway, as I no longer like heated debates.

I agree with your sentiment 100%. Debate on political subjects invariably become heated and begin to go around in circles bringing out the worse in participants. Insults are traded in a pantomime fashion bogging the discussion down in banality and ill feeling.

The problem is that you can find yourself participating against your better judgement, your mood changing from better to worse as you do so. This was certainly my experience on the old Dao Bums and I have no intention of repeating it.

As the new forum gets going I suspect that all will be well as it will be peopled largely by refugee's from the old site, many of whome have been ethically cleansed by Sean. They will be of a like mindset and so there will be little friction. If or when the site gains popularity those with disparate views will appear and make their presence felt - this is the point where history may begin to repeat itself.

Only time will tell but I do wish the new site all the best and hope that I am wrong in my misgivings.

Edited by Chang

5 hours ago, Zwerver said:

If the political section of the new forum fails (we'll have to see how it goes), then I hope that the political section will just be closed down and that the spiritual part will go on and survive. I will probably not participate in the political section anyway, as I no longer like heated debates.

A benefit of making the politics section by-request only is that the contents there are not seen at all during normal browsing if one has not asked for access. This makes it very easy to ignore what happens there. I think such topic segregation will help contain the mess. I am also certain there will be a mess, but such is life.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

A benefit of making the politics section by-request only is that the contents there are not seen at all during normal browsing if one has not asked for access. This makes it very easy to ignore what happens there. I think such topic segregation will help contain the mess. I am also certain there will be a mess, but such is life.

But the irony of that thinking is that at Bums, it was closed to public viewing so you had to be logged in... and had every chance to just stay out.  And yet, folks blamed this hidden area for 'spilling' over into the forum.  When pressed, the few people who made that claim could never back it up...  so maybe emotional transference was speaking :)

We even made a new stream that would bypass the Off-Grid from showing up in the 'unread content'.    You can only do so much but folks can still claim whatever they will. 

1 hour ago, david said:

And yet, folks blamed this hidden area for 'spilling' over into the forum.  When pressed, the few people who made that claim could never back it up...  

The 'spillover' was the energy contained in, and came through, pit-participants'  words out in the rest of the forum. 

I can tell when a poster is all pissed off.... even if they're smiling and typing about rainbows & unicorns.

Maybe others could tell, too. The whole vibe of the whole site changed.

It wasn't as loud as a month ago... but it's palpable now.

8 hours ago, Zwerver said:

In case of failure, I'll make sure of that. Being based on what we had at TDB, the site's main purpose is for spiritual etc topics. I'm pretty optimistic, though.

2 hours ago, david said:

But the irony of that thinking is that at Bums, it was closed to public viewing so you had to be logged in... and had every chance to just stay out.  And yet, folks blamed this hidden area for 'spilling' over into the forum.  When pressed, the few people who made that claim could never back it up...  so maybe emotional transference was speaking :)

We even made a new stream that would bypass the Off-Grid from showing up in the 'unread content'.    You can only do so much but folks can still claim whatever they will. 

At Original Dao, the political forum is now entirely private. No one can see that it exists at all, unless they've been given permission to use it. In terms of anything leaking out (content of discussions, or what members are in there), if anyone is found to do that, they will lose permission to use it.

I agree that people complaining at TDB often couldn't back up their claims of spillage.

I think you have to take into account the dynamics of the situation. Joining a forum like The Dao Bums with the purpose of having interesting discussions of a spiritual kind and seeing the focus of an increasing number of members drift away from spiritual matters to heated political debates is an unhappy thing to experience. This changes the general atmosphere on the site even when there is (or would be) no spillover from the political discussions to the rest of the site.

The dynamics on Original Dao will be different because on joining the new forum you already know that it's partly political, although you don't have to participate in the political part because that happens in a by-request only, private section.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Zwerver said:

The dynamics on Original Dao will be different because on joining the new forum you already know that it's partly political, although you don't have to participate in the political part because that happens in a by-request only, private section.

That's true for everyone involved recently.

Right now I have it set up so that guests to the forum don't see the off topic forum (which has the pinned thread about a hidden political subforum). So, for all a visitor knows, the site is just spiritual etc discussions...which will attract the right crowd. Not trying to make a political site.

Trying to set it up so that even newly registered users (who need to make 2 posts first) don't see the pinned post, either...only full members do. So far what I've tried hasn't seemed to work, and when someone is registered before posting anything, they see it. But the political forum is hidden to all except those who have been given access by admins.

My intention is that once a person is a full member (a couple posts later), they would see the Off Topic section and pinned post, and either participate in the political forum by requesting access, or not (and never seeing it).

Edited by Aetherous