click tracking

I've secured originaldao.com to create a forum...just working on getting phpBB running (the quick install option isn't working tonight, so I'm calling the hosting provider tomorrow).

Patrick - sorry to make another forum when you just got yours up and running. There are a few reasons why I chose to do this:

1. You were saying recently that you'll soon be busy with something else in your life, and may not have time for forums. While I'm also busy, I do have time each day to make sure it's a very reliable place for people to use.
  2. The need for a secure site, with https. Although you may have found a way to do that with thetaobums.net, with my hosting provider they will do it automatically.
  3. Someone who will pay for hosting, without other members chipping in to cover expenses...basically, someone to ensure that the forum will be lasting for many years to come. I'm willing to do it.
  4. The name (Original Dao) isn't closely associated with TDB, and it's a dot com address. This is good so there's no way Sean could potentially mess with this site, and it's also something new and not associated with what is now an extreme leftist forum. It's good to create something fresh.

I didn't want us to have multiple forums, splintering different groups off every which way...but because of the above reasons, I felt it was important to create this one.

As for why I wanted to create a new one instead of just using Living Unbound...LU seems to be an intentionally peaceful spiritual place, and the members who have been here seem to really want it kept that way...but I think there's a need for a forum that's open to: any person, any vibe, any emotions or feelings, any subject matter (for the most part).

I have the vision of creating a place where all members are safe, respected by forum administration, and are able to think and speak freely. A place which will eventually act like an archive of great info to search through, like TDB has been in somewhat recent times.

I want moderation to be very minimally present, inspired by Daodejing Chapter 17:

The greatest ruler is barely known to the people.

Next, one who is loved.

Next, one who is feared.

Next, one who is ridiculed.

If the ruler doesn’t trust, then the people will have no trust.

Relaxed, he rarely gives orders!

When tasks are completed and duties fulfilled, 

The common people all say, “This is our natural way.”

- Dao De Jing in Clear English by Jeff Pepper 

So, members should be trusted by moderators to work things out on their own, even if it seems to be getting heated. It's not required of members to "behave", or be "civil", as those concepts infringe on our natural freedom...but it will be required to not break laws, and not make other members feel legitimately unsafe. There's a certain point where disrespect toward others is really too much, and something must be done...but the idea is to be as hands off as possible with moderation.

The forum will be set up like how TDB has been in recent times, with subforums for each different tradition or aspect...which makes it easy to explore a particular subject you're interested in.

A big difference with Original Dao is that any contentious topics (feminism, Islamism, politics, other current news, etc) will be in a hidden forum, that members can only see after requesting to join it. So, those who want a more spiritual place will get what they want. Those who want to discuss politics etc with other spiritual practitioners will get what they want. No spillage will be permitted into the public section of the forum.

If anyone has ideas of how to draw a clear line between total freedom of speech, and moderating things that really should be moderated, let me know. It'd be nice to have clear rules on that, because I think the absence of clarity can cause moderators to abuse their positions.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aetherous said:

moderated

One idea I had about this is that you just give people what they want.

If they want to actually discuss something then they go to one place.

If they want to vent then they go to another section which acts as a heatsink.

If they want a space free of certain types of content or attitudes then they go there.

Then everyone gets to choose and gets what they want.

But ... maybe that's all unrealistic.

Anyway, good name.

Edited by rideforever

Good luck with this Aetherous.

It looks like Patrick has left here and taken down his site. This fallout from TDB is certainly a bit chaotic and ugly at the moment.  

Even though some of us still feel raw from the way we were treated, we can't let that stop us in moving forward.

Time for some good old fashioned common sense and civility, me included.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for creating it and I think the name is good. The absentee landlord model devolved into a hot mess- although I do respect his property rights. I agree with different areas and minimal moderation for certain circumstances. 

Also, thanks to Patrick for his efforts, hope he returns. 

Edited by Stella

Good! Particularly this:

A big difference with Original Dao is that any contentious topics (feminism, Islamism, politics, other current news, etc) will be in a hidden forum, that members can only see after requesting to join it. So, those who want a more spiritual place will get what they want. Those who want to discuss politics etc with other spiritual practitioners will get what they want. No spillage will be permitted into the public section of the forum.

And as Patrick's own tread about his forum as well as his forum itself have already disappeared, I want to take this opportunity to thank Patrick here for the time he put into his own forum. Take some rest and don't let the trouble you had at The Dao Bums spoil your life, it's not worth it.

8 hours ago, Aetherous said:

to draw a clear line between total freedom of speech, and moderating things that really should be moderated, let me know.

two words: "the ignore button"

The ignore button is a very handy device indeed, but I don't think it's enough. One shouldn't want the new site (and in particular its private section) to become involved in any sort of violent and/or illegal activism. I think one should draw a clear line there.

6 hours ago, rideforever said:

One idea I had about this is that you just give people what they want.

If they want to actually discuss something then they go to one place.

If they want to vent then they go to another section which acts as a heatsink.

If they want a space free of certain types of content or attitudes then they go there.

Then everyone gets to choose and gets what they want.

But ... maybe that's all unrealistic.

I think it's totally possible!

4 hours ago, lifeforce said:

It looks like Patrick has left here and taken down his site. This fallout from TDB is certainly a bit chaotic and ugly at the moment.  

I hope there's no hard feelings about starting another forum when he had one up and running. I totally understand how people feel about this, especially with what Sean did in both of your cases (in Patrick's case, Sean posting pictures of someone who had gotten in a crash and was bloody and hurt, to represent him after banning him...violent and malicious!).

In regard to Original Dao (which I'm going to try and have up soon), there will be a strict rule for moderators to not ban without warning. There will always be one warning which the person sees, and if the guidance is unheeded, only then does a ban happen. Bans won't ever be permanent, because I think people are capable of changing...and banned members can petition to return (and a best attempt at a reasonable decision on when that return happens will be made by any staff).

2 hours ago, Stella said:

Also, thanks to Patrick for his efforts, hope he returns. 

Me too.

1 hour ago, JossBeaumont said:

two words: "the ignore button"

I will try to make sure it has that. No intention of moderation catering to people who complain about everyone, SJWs, weaklings who want others to not have free speech, etc.

I had an idea late last night: instead of "be civil" as a general rule, I thought of "(we want you to) be safe"...so moderation wouldn't happen to control people's "behavior", but it would only happen in cases where a person's safety is potentially compromised, such as with doxxing, stalking, threats, libel, erotic material (because perhaps someone under 18 could end up using the site) etc. Or spam, or anything illegal.

1 hour ago, Zwerver said:

The ignore button is a very handy device indeed, but I don't think it's enough. One shouldn't want the new site (and in particular its private section) to become involved in any sort of violent and/or illegal activism. I think one should draw a clear line there.

The way I see it, forum rules should be universally applied so that there's no confusion. So, the private section won't be a lawless free for all place...it'll just have controversial topics of discussion.

Totally agree about anything violent or illegal.

1 hour ago, Zwerver said:

Agree. The hosting service will have it's own ToS (terms of service) that will not allow those things. It might be OD won't need to add any others..keeping things as unhindered as possible!

5 minutes ago, rene said:

Agree. The hosting service will have it's own ToS (terms of service) that will not allow those things. It might be OD won't need to add any others..keeping things as unhindered as possible!

Yes - but as the ToS are hardly ever read by anybody it might be a good idea to give those basic rules a prominent place on the forum, so that (potential) users realise that those rules are indeed meant to followed. A long list of rules will very likely not be read at all, so I agree that a short basic list is much better.

1 minute ago, Zwerver said:

Yes - but as the ToS are hardly ever read by anybody it might be a good idea to give those basic rules a prominent place on the forum, so that (potential) users realise that those rules are indeed meant to followed. A long list of rules will very likely not be read at all, so I agree that a short basic list is much better.

Very true! Maybe a short list will be included in a 'read first' welcome message.

32 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

I think it's totally possible!

I hope there's no hard feelings about starting another forum when he had one up and running. I totally understand how people feel about this, especially with what Sean did in both of your cases (in Patrick's case, Sean posting pictures of someone who had gotten in a crash and was bloody and hurt, to represent him after banning him...violent and malicious!).

In regard to Original Dao (which I'm going to try and have up soon), there will be a strict rule for moderators to not ban without warning. There will always be one warning which the person sees, and if the guidance is unheeded, only then does a ban happen. Bans won't ever be permanent, because I think people are capable of changing...and banned members can petition to return (and a best attempt at a reasonable decision on when that return happens will be made by any staff).

Me too.

I will try to make sure it has that. No intention of moderation catering to people who complain about everyone, SJWs, weaklings who want others to not have free speech, etc.

I had an idea late last night: instead of "be civil" as a general rule, I thought of "(we want you to) be safe"...so moderation wouldn't happen to control people's "behavior", but it would only happen in cases where a person's safety is potentially compromised, such as with doxxing, stalking, threats, libel, erotic material (because perhaps someone under 18 could end up using the site) etc. Or spam, or anything illegal.

The way I see it, forum rules should be universally applied so that there's no confusion. So, the private section won't be a lawless free for all place...it'll just have controversial topics of discussion.

Totally agree about anything violent or illegal.

It seems like you're on a good path!

13 minutes ago, rene said:

It seems like you're on a good path!

Please keep me in line in terms of keeping things as unhindered as possible, if you have any suggestions.

3 hours ago, Zwerver said:

Take some rest and don't let the trouble you had at The Dao Bums spoil your life, it's not worth it.

This is worth repeating. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let your choices today work towards building a better future of your choice instead of being a reaction to a painful past.

11 hours ago, Aetherous said:

I've secured originaldao.com to create a forum

As for originaldao.com, if that is on a hosted service (as compared to a home-brew server) then oftentimes the host will offer software, including bulletin boards. The host control panel will contain information if that is the case. If not, the software will need to be installed manually. Instructions to do that are here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/?sid=dead134ef94f98b73ae664323e502a4b

Otherwise you can always pay for a commercial bulletin board, such as used on this site.

Waiting for the company to open up at 9am Mountain Time, so I can call them and get the forum software installed. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully the forum will be basically functional today, and then as the week progresses it can be tweaked.

I've found a couple of stock photos for a banner that may work well. Chinese mountains and rivers with morning mist.

If anyone else wants to look (at istockphoto for instance) and offer image suggestions here, feel free. Whatever image is chosen, I plan on sprucing it up with some nice looking text and Chinese characters in Adobe Illustrator.

1 minute ago, Aetherous said:

I plan on sprucing it up with some nice looking text and Chinese characters in Adobe Illustrator

Just don't find the Chinese equivalent of "No Regerts." LOL

26 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Please keep me in line in terms of keeping things as unhindered as possible, if you have any suggestions.

Oh...you can count on that. ^_^

Sounds like a sound plan Aetherous ,

but I would like to toss out one little suggestion,

( which if history is any guide isnt a thing that will happen) and that is that IMO

there should be amindful attempt to keep a central discussion space

which hasnt been subdivided into so many micro-niches that differing people are induced to stay unincorporated.

And that the site doesnt scrunch up the text , like at  X , and more like LU. 

And that perhaps some emojis were available 

And that there might be an equinanimous eye symbol ,  if you do a like  button thing ,

just to say a post was seen , and so you know that the post was looked at whether it didnt seem to require a response. 

:) 

Submitted a support ticket earlier today, they got back to me just now and said to contact someone else. I won't keep giving updates like this, but just know that I'm trying to get it running and will announce it here when it's functional.

5 hours ago, Joe said:

but I would like to toss out one little suggestion,

( which if history is any guide isnt a thing that will happen) and that is that IMO

there should be amindful attempt to keep a central discussion space

Should there be something similar to "General Discussion" at TDB except additionally allowing non-cultivation related posts at the same time?

5 hours ago, Joe said:

And that the site doesnt scrunch up the text , like at  X , and more like LU. 

What does scrunch up the text mean?

5 hours ago, Joe said:

And that perhaps some emojis were available 

And that there might be an equinanimous eye symbol ,  if you do a like  button thing ,

just to say a post was seen , and so you know that the post was looked at whether it didnt seem to require a response. 

I like the idea of adding a wide array of emojis.

It seems us former bums enjoyed being able to 'like' or 'thanks' posts...I'll see about making all of this happen.

27 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Should there be something similar to "General Discussion" at TDB except additionally allowing non-cultivation related posts at the same time?

Don't care where it is.. but I hope there'd be a small corner somewhere for a Viking thread :lol:

27 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

It seems us former bums enjoyed being able to 'like' or 'thanks' posts...I'll see about making all of this happen.

Glad to hear this. If those buttons caused problems there... that doesn't mean they will at OD. And if my posts get too many 'likes' and that bothers @Joe , well, too bad. He's just gonna have to figure that out. :P

39 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Submitted a support ticket earlier today, they got back to me just now and said to contact someone else. I won't keep giving updates like this, but just know that I'm trying to get it running and will announce it here when it's functional.

Understood 

How you go about it, is your own call, I am just suggesting that the sense of community is more important than having subdivisions.

Cross fertilization , integration , exposure are good things.

The problem at X,is a sudden shortage of tolerance , but its also a type of forced subdivision. 

I understand the desire for some quieter , more undisturbed venues , and I am not suggesting that would be bad.. what I am saying is that one could simply flag ,,say, majorly Buddhist subjects to help people search , without pushing them from the public eye,  into a back room. The thread itself is enough subdivision.  

Another ex would be if you have 30 people in 10 threads going in five major subivisions somewhat hidden , you probably end up with sleeping threads more often, than if you just had the 10 threads in one locale where you could see if people were talking in there. 

Flagging the subject matter,  but keeping the grouping collected,  emphasizes the public space. 

What does scrunch up the text mean?

When The box automatically reapportions space to satisfy an english teachers idea of a proper paragraph , when they havent read the subject matter. And at the same time waste swathes of space so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to go along in the thread 

you

were 

visually 

challenged 

I like the idea of adding a wide array of emojis.

Great - I would really like that eye button though  most of all .

Personally , I don't need the validation of 'like' clicks much  ,though  its fun to get laughing faces smilies and all , 

but I would really like to know that my posts were at least seen

10 hours ago, Aetherous said:

In regard to Original Dao (which I'm going to try and have up soon), there will be a strict rule for moderators to not ban without warning.

Banning is so last century. When a person is banned it gives them license to feel indignant and wronged. Instead of banning just flip the "moderation required" flag so that all their posts must be moderated before they can be seen. That will cool a person off really quick! It also lets them know that they are getting close to the red line. If you find they continue to post garbage that won't pass the smell test then you can issue a ban.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Instead of banning just flip the "moderation required" flag so that all their posts must be moderated before they can be seen. That will cool a person off really quick!

Excellent idea!

38 minutes ago, Joe said:

what I am saying is that one could simply flag ,,say, majorly Buddhist subjects to help people search , without pushing them from the public eye,  into a back room.

I definitely like that idea, and agree that exposure to what might be happening in other sections of the forum is great. So long as members are able to go to a Buddhist section, for instance, to see all of the Buddhist-flagged threads. If you have experience setting up a phpBB forum like this, feel free to send me a message.