click tracking

Philosophy is sometimes considered esoteric. 

But truth be said, it applies to almost everything one does. 

When you're born, nobody issues a copy of the handbook.. wouldn't that be .. handy? 

Spiritual battles are fought on the physical stage. 

Yes our decisions and experiences are cranial, but such imaginings are ephemeral. 

I don't believe anymore, that I am going to be blessed by any .. epiphany. Or that I can osmose a better attitude by reading. 

I've read a lot, and have forgotten a lot. 

Something I haven't done is to effectively configure my circumstances and actions in accord with my best aspirations. 

Yep

I've been sloppy.

So more actions? Like integrating how you live with the philosophies and books you read?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Joe said:

Philosophy is sometimes considered esoteric. 

But truth be said, it applies to almost everything one does. 

When you're born, nobody issues a copy of the handbook.. wouldn't that be .. handy? 

Spiritual battles are fought on the physical stage. 

Yes our decisions and experiences are cranial, but such imaginings are ephemeral. 

I don't believe anymore, that I am going to be blessed by any .. epiphany. Or that I can osmose a better attitude by reading. 

I've read a lot, and have forgotten a lot. 

Something I haven't done is to effectively configure my circumstances and actions in accord with my best aspirations. 

Yep

I've been sloppy.

I think that's a difficulty we all face. I take my knowledge and wisdom from many sources and try my best to apply what I've learned, and unlearned, to situations I encounter in everyday life. Sometimes a brief line of text is enough to 'turn the mind', and set one off on a completely different path. I know from personal experience that it has happened to me countless times. The way that we process, and act on information received, is a personal, individual one, even though we are connected to every single thing that exists. 

Edited by lifeforce

6 hours ago, FaXin said:

So more actions? Like integrating how you live with the philosophies and books you read?

Honestly, Yes,

But even within that context, there's a lot of dubiousness to contend with. 

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

When I am down, I allow myself to go down.

When I am up, I allow myself to go up.

When I am in the world, I go in.

When I am beyond, I fall beyond.

When I am the body then I move.

When I am the heart then I feel.

When I am the mind then I think.

Be myself? 

Lemme face it this way, If that works for you, great. But for me , the thing is that there are changes that I should make and the mechanisms that would bring it about don't seem to kick in.

I've smoked cigarettes for thirty years! Quit three times, and yet start up again.

Ergo, I like to smoke.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rene said:

At least you know what your aspirations are. B)

Yes, I have a teeny-tiny little bit of elusive aspiration.

Edited by Joe

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Yes, I have a teeny-tiny little bit of elusive aspiration.

Good job! Not everyone can keep it at bay. ;)

9 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Okay not sure if I understand you.

Are you saying you are going to take practical action and set some goals ?

I smoked from about 12 to about 29.

It was not easy to quit.

One thing I would do was to force myself to begin smoking later than the day before, so before long the morning was clean.

After a while I would only smoke in the evening.

Also, although this is probably not helpful, but I started smoking marijuana late in the evening, which is very different vibe from cigarettes.

Another thing I did was get a photo of a healthy lung vs diseased lung (from a biology text book) and printed it off double size, A3 and stuck it on my wall.

I also printed it miniature and had it in the plastic window of my wallet.

No, What I am saying that is if one acts by ones impulses they or I am at the mercy of them. I like smoking , therefore I cannot rely on my impulses. 

The repercussions of weed use , are different , but , not majorly so. 

17 minutes ago, rene said:

Good job! Not everyone can keep it at bay. ;)

:) 

7 hours ago, rideforever said:

Anyway on another subject, spirituality is imo physical, or at least the physical component is very important.

Be that taking communion in the mouth, or kneeling, doing zhan zhuang, sitting in a real meditation posture, or the many physical energetic traditions.

These are very important.

So is real engagement in ordinary practical human life.

These things have particular effects that are required to reach realisation, and frequently I believe the failure to do so is due to not working with the basics and ground of things ... reaching too high, being too idealistic, too mental or philosophical.

I agree totally.

When we opt to DO something , we finalize all the internal debates all the potential emotional quotients are totalled up,

because you cant both -move and not move.

The stuff you chose is welded with the options you have , and the possibilities going forward. 

I am beginning to think that its absolutely imperative to have some sort of proceedure , enactment , to get anywhere, even if its largely symbolic. 

I feel like the actual garden is a good metaphor for cultivation. This weekend I tried to give mine some attention, full of weeds and I haven’t been watering, pruning, and fertilizing like I should, still I picked plenty of fresh, ripe tomatoes for a big pot of marinara. 

1 hour ago, Stella said:

I feel like the actual garden is a good metaphor for cultivation. This weekend I tried to give mine some attention, full of weeds and I haven’t been watering, pruning, and fertilizing like I should, still I picked plenty of fresh, ripe tomatoes for a big pot of marinara. 

Heirloom is the way to go. I grew cherry tomatoes which  I forget the name of, various chilies , and the Japanese eggplants were fantastic. But never had a full fledged veg garden. 

13 hours ago, Stella said:

Very nice.  With all the trees around our house, can never get enough sun for good tomatoes.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:57 PM, Stella said:

I love the garden metaphor for our mind.  I've yet to come across anything as accurate and illustrates cultivating so clearly.