click tracking
Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Lankavatara Sutra - Study

My interest suddenly spiked and I read few chapters last night.  Very interesting.  Look forward to the discussions.

Something I wondered, whether the universal mind that is described in this mind is the same as dharmakaya or perhaps what is described as Shiva in KS.

Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, S1va said:

My interest suddenly spiked and I read few chapters last night.  Very interesting.  Look forward to the discussions.

Something I wondered, whether the universal mind that is described in this mind is the same as dharmakaya or perhaps what is described as Shiva in KS.

Any thoughts?

Yes, universal mind would be similar to the concept of Shiva.  The difference would be that in buddhism there would be emptiness that the universal mind sort of emerges from.  In KS, Shiva is not some container like the dharmakaya as there is nothing but Shiva.  In Taoism, it would be like you are saying that the One = Dao, rather than emerges from the Dao.

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yes, universal mind would be similar to the concept of Shiva.  The difference would be that in buddhism there would be emptiness that the universal mind sort of emerges from.  In KS, Shiva is not some container like the dharmakaya as there is nothing but Shiva.  In Taoism, it would be like you are saying that the One = Dao, rather than emerges from the Dao.

Thanks.  I don't understand what is meant by dharmakaya really well.  I will look into it.

4 hours ago, S1va said:

Thanks.  I don't understand what is meant by dharmakaya really well.  I will look into it.

Dharmakaya would sort of be like the shell (or bubble) of Shiva, if there was something for Shiva to emerge from.  The Sambhogkaya would be kind of like Shakti “inside of” Shiva. Have fun with your research. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

False-imagination teaches that such things as light and shade, long and short, black and white are different and are to be discriminated; but they are not independent of each other; they are only different aspects of the same thing, they are terms of relation and not of reality. Conditions of existence are not of a mutually exclusive character; in essence things are not two but one. Even Nirvana and Samsára’s world of life and death are aspects of the same thing, for there is no Nirvana except where is Samsára, and no Samsára except where is Nirvana. All duality is falsely imagined.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:17 AM, Tom said:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It is interesting to note the way Nirvana is described.  There is no nirvana except where is samara and vice versa.  Sounds like everything is subject to dependent origination.  I just wonder if nirvana is valid only in relation to samsara, how is it indicative of the void or state of emptiness?

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, S1va said:

It is interesting to note the way Nirvana is described.  There is no nirvana except where is samara and vice versa.  Sounds like everything is subject to dependent origination.  I just wonder if nirvana is valid only in relation to samsara, how is it indicative of the void or state of emptiness?

To me it is saying it is not in some place or some where. It is much the same thing as what Jesus say's here.

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

This to me is one of the most important lines in the sutra.

"False-imagination teaches that such things as light and shade, long and short, black and white are different and are to be discriminated; but they are not independent of each other; they are only different aspects of the same thing, they are terms of relation and not of reality. "

You can apply that to different types of energy, Shakti and Shiva or Nirvana and samara.

Continuing on.

Any thoughts on Chapter 3 starting with the following.

Then Mahamati asked the Blessed One, saying: Tell us, Blessed One, how all things can be empty, un-born, and have no self-nature, so that we may awakened and quickly realize highest enlightenment?