Doug

Kabbalah And Meditation

nancy   

Hi Doug,

Thanks for this interesting post! Goes to show meditation practices are used across many cultures. 

Doug   

Hi Doug,

Thanks for this interesting post! Goes to show meditation practices are used across many cultures. 

Hi Nancy,

You're very welcome. There are some deep and interesting corollaries between Kabbalah and certain yogic traditions that authors and teachers from both traditions have mentioned.

What I've found is that the people who tend to get the best results from any system are those who do a similar set of practices, i.e. meditation, directed breathing, watching mind activity, devotional chanting or dancing, scriptural study, etc. -- in pretty much any proven combination -- and some of these traditions have been finding the best combinations for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

The reason this is so in my view, is that the so-called spiritual journey is a journey of healing -- of releasing the unnatural, and restoring natural balance to mind and body, including emotions -- and all the practices mentioned above help to do that. That, along with the requisite sincerity, dedication and willingness seem to be what work. That's what an admitted relative handful from pretty much every tradition (and from outside formal traditions) tend to get the benefits everyone is seeking (i.e. peace, clarity, etc.) -- regardless of the tradition in question.

That's why, observably, the systems referenced by our subforums here all have very, very similar success rates, in my view.

nancy   

Hi Doug,

Just wanted to add to your sentence regarding the so called spiritual journey as a journey of healing. Not only can it help in restoring natural balance to mind and body it also aids in maintaining balance too. This is from my direct experience of Yoga.

Hi Doug,

Hi Nancy,

You're very welcome. There are some deep and interesting corollaries between Kabbalah and certain yogic traditions that authors and teachers from both traditions have mentioned.

What I've found is that the people who tend to get the best results from any system are those who do a similar set of practices, i.e. meditation, directed breathing, watching mind activity, devotional chanting or dancing, scriptural study, etc. -- in pretty much any proven combination -- and some of these traditions have been finding the best combinations for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

The reason this is so in my view, is that the so-called spiritual journey is a journey of healing -- of releasing the unnatural, and restoring natural balance to mind and body, including emotions -- and all the practices mentioned above help to do that. That, along with the requisite sincerity, dedication and willingness seem to be what work. That's what an admitted relative handful from pretty much every tradition (and from outside formal traditions) tend to get the benefits everyone is seeking (i.e. peace, clarity, etc.) -- regardless of the tradition in question.

That's why, observably, the systems referenced by our subforums here all have very, very similar success rates, in my view.

The people who 'surrender' to change and whose intention is focused will succeed, whether they have a system or not.

But people want magic pills and rituals before they give themselves permission to be 'simple'.

If you allow yourself to be 'overwritten' by the change.. so that the 'old you' 'dies' you will succeed no matter what

system you use.

It's actually that simple.

People don't trust themselves, so they fail. They want a guru, whether in written form or a person, or both.

A standard 'guru trick' is to lie to people.. to build up their confidence.. so that they are willing to surrender

to the change  they want..... they change through their own desire to change.. and the 'guru' gets the

credit and sleeps with the female devotees. It's quite the racket.

You can even become the changed person you want to be, without ANY rational thought or concepts

whatsoever. My favorite yoga-like technique does exactly that.. it rapidly and permanently changes

the brain and the quality of consciousness without any concepts or mumbo jumbo. I suspect this

same 'hidden mechanism of basic biology' lurks in one form or another in many systems -- but it's

always dressed up in nonsense.

People rarely ask why systems work, when they do.. of course as you suspect, much of it is the person

and not the system.

Kev

nancy   

Very true!  Those who surrender to change and are focused will succeed regardless of whether or not they have a particular system. If one allows themselves to be  "overwritten" by the change so that the" old persona dies"  one will be successful no matter what system they use

. A person's desire to change and to actually do it because they know deep down that the only one who can bring about change is them. These are the ones who succeed. This is my finding anyway. 

Jeff   

A standard 'guru trick' is to lie to people.. to build up their confidence.. so that they are willing to surrender

to the change  they want..... they change through their own desire to change.. and the 'guru' gets the

credit and sleeps with the female devotees. It's quite the racket.

Kev

Doug   

People rarely ask why systems work, when they do.. of course as you suspect, much of it is the person

and not the system.

Kev

Yes; agreed.

Philosophical systems and frameworks can make useful tool-sets, but they make ridiculous gods.

Which seems to be the point you're making, too, unless I misunderstand.

However, I see it as also possible to so vigorously discard what is viewed as problematic bathwater from every possible system that you may suddenly realize that you're short a baby.